Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas goodness, Oakland style

I got a welcome phone call from my pal Matty Boy the other day, during which he informed me that there were some Christmas goodies coming my way. What a mensch he is: He told me he was giving gifts to those less fortunate than himself; sadly, I qualified.

Gift #1 was something I've wanted forever: the entire catalog of recordings of Matty Boy's and Padre Mickey's band The Wonders of Science! I'm completely bowled over by this tune, and the rest of the songs on the CD are just as good. Every time I listen, I feel like I'm back in college in my old dorm room, not-reading a bunch of literature for my English classes and wondering what it would be like to be an out lesbian. Sigh. Those were the days.

Gift #2 was something Matty Boy has been touting forever: a copy of the Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog DVD! I had planned to watch it tonight (I've never seen even a second of it), but I ended up spending hours creating a new logo and header for my birdy blog... in Microsoft Paint. Do you know how hard it is to create graphics in Paint? Like trying to perform calculus with Sarah Palin's brain, my friends. Just like that. Someday, I hope to have PhotoShop and Illustrator again... someday. (Did you know I was a graphic designer from 1997-2002?)
Now it's well past midnight, nigh on one in the a.m., and I've got to wake up at six. Shit.

12 comments:

Fran said...

What cool gifts and from such a cool guy!!

Happy New Year Delia!!!

Anonymous said...

Интересно написано....но многое остается непонятнымb

dguzman said...

Fran--thank you! Same to you and yours, my friend.

Anon--Das vadania!

Lockwood said...

Have you tried paint.net? It's no photoshop, but it's light years beyond MS Paint, and it's freeware. I've had a lot of fun with it.

Did I mention it's free?

Hoping 10 goes to 11, compared to 9.

Claire said...

Happy New Year!

pissed in NYC said...

congrats on the swag. And have a very happy New Year.

Distributorcap said...

you get all the good stuff
happy new year and to a better 2010

dguzman said...

Lockwood--I'll check that out--thanks for the tip!

CDP--to you and yours as well.

PiNY--it rocks! Happy New Year to you too.

DCap--lucky me!

Matthew Hubbard said...

So glad the stuff got to you intact. Best wishes for the New Year!

GETkristiLOVE said...

My degree from Penn State is in graphic design and yes, I know what Paint is like. I'd think you'd have better luck just making something and taking a picture of it. ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dguzman said...

Matty Boy--yes indeed, and I LOVE Dr. Horrible! I want to be allowed in the Evil Lair of Evil!

GKL--really? Wow! I didn't know that.