Monday, January 05, 2009

16 Things you don't know 'bout me

Beth Coffey at Cup of Coffey tagged me on Facebook to do this meme, listing 16 things you don't know about me. The task is a little daunting, but I'll give it a whirl.

1. I don't have a middle name; neither does my brother or two of my sisters. Only the youngest, Nora (Aida), has a middle name. My parents have never explained this.

2. I have always been a Dallas Cowboys fan, although I loved Super Joe Montana and often rooted for the Niners to win (unless they were playing the Cowboys).

3. The name of my college cover band was "The Score."

4. My favorite newspaper comic is "Mutts."

5. I am apparently (I've been told) a very private person and reveal very little about my thoughts and emotions, preferring instead to ask questions of and learn more about other people. It's not that I won't tell you about myself; I just would rather answer questions than think up stuff about myself, so just ask if you want to know.

6. I've been a vegetarian for almost seven years, mostly because I love farm animals and don't like to think of hurting them just so I can eat. I also do it for environmental and political reasons.

7. I like birds and nature. (I'm throwing this one in as the "Duh!" parallel of the obvious #1 that Beth used.)

8. I lived in Texas my whole life before moving to PA in 2003, and I always thought I'd never leave -- until I left. Now I hope never to live there again, as I've discovered that other places are more beautiful and offer more opportunities. When I move to California, I'll be singing, "Two girls for every... girl!"

9. I have no biological clock. Even back when I was young and thought I'd marry and have kids, I always figured I'd adopt. I just have no desire to bring more babies into the world or "experience the miracle of childbirth," or whatever -- not when there are so many babies out there up for adoption. (But I'll likely never adopt; I'm too old now.)

10. I love love love the Harry Potter books, and I've read each of them at least ten times. In fact, I usually re-read books I like.

11. I love love love "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (the TV series), and I own the Chosen Collection, thanks to Matty. I watch at least one episode six out of seven nights a week. Yeah, I love it that much. Matty and I find some new bit of Joss Whedon genius or trivia almost every time we watch. The latest: I realized last night that the vampire Sandy, whom Riley meets and eventually allows to bite him in Season 5 (when he's being an over-the-top emo moron), is actually the same character and actress that Vampire Willow sired in "Doppelgangland" (Season 3). Sadly, though, I just googled and found out I'm not the only one who noticed this stunning little bit of Joss Whedon magic. Still--Matty hadn't caught that one yet!

12. I'm a woodworker. I love to build useful stuff like shelves, tables, etc.

13. When Matty and I move to California, the first thing we'll do after we've put Niblet in the house is drive to the beach. I love the beach!

14. I try to learn new things as often as I can, whether it's just something I read in the paper or a new job skill or whatever. A day without learning is a day wasted, at least for me.

15. The easiest way to get me to open up is ask me what kind of work environment I enjoy. (Step back.)

16. (oh man, I didn't think I'd make it to 16!) I didn't think I'd make it to 16! Kidding. Um... I'm trying to lose at least 20 lbs before we move to California.

Done! Okay, all you introspective people who are looking for something to blog about--drop and gimme 16!

12 comments:

Life As I Know It Now said...

I also am a vegetarian for the exact same reasons.

Well I learned something new about you today so I learned something new ;)

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Will do.

Claire said...

I always re-read books that I love; there are several that I've read at least a dozen times, and will definitely read again!

Unknown said...

I don't have a middle name, either!

GETkristiLOVE said...

So do you build birdhouses?!

My word verification is "grace" so I think that should be your new middle name.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

You had a cover band in college? Cool! Who did you cover?

In our family, 3 of the kids have middle names and 1 doesn't. This also was never explained.

Anonymous said...

You're moving out here? How cool is that! Let me know when to expect you!

Regards,

Tengrain

Karen Zipdrive said...

You're moving to California? When? What part?
I lived my 20's at Venice Beach.
It was the smartest move I ever made and I had more fun than anyone can imagine.
Then came the gun in my face on my porch late one night...
Hellllo, Texas!

Randal Graves said...

Isn't #2 an affront to Baby Jesus, Zeus, Odin, Marduk, William Shakespeare, and the space-time continuum?

#11, word, word, word. "Aren't you going to introduce me to your, holy god, you're Willow."

lisahgolden said...

I didn't know that!

Oh, man, that joke never gets old....

(I didn't realize that you were a vegetarian, but it makes sense now that I do know. Of course you are!

no_slappz said...

Adoption? Lots of babies to adopt? Guess again. The demand for adoptable babies is miles beyond the supply. Hopeful adoptive parents are willing to PAY fertile women for infants.

Dale said...

You should have a middle name contest! I suggest something fun like "Commie" or "Neely O'Hara". :-)