Friday, January 18, 2008

Why do I do it?


"Why?" I ask you. Why do I put myself through the torture and madness of Spider Solitaire? I know that sometimes I win--once, I only had to play 23 games before I won one! And yet, as it grows later and later, and I'm sleepier and sleepier, that urge to just win once--once, dammit! that's all I'm asking!--overwhelms me and I sit here, slumped over my computer, clicking and dragging my life away.

Spider Solitaire--she's a cruel mistress.

P.S.--sorry for the crappy screen pic--I can't for the life of me figure out how to do a screen capture on this "Mac-compatible" keyboard. Niblet chewed the cord to my real Mac keyboard...

P.P.S.--Man, I sure could use a margarita.

P.P.P.S.--This deal sucks. *clicking New Deal button*

P.P.P.P.S.--Is this what it's like to be a gamble-aholic, refusing to leave the blackjack table until I've lost the car and the house?

P.P.P.P.P.S.--Nah. *clicking New Deal button*

10 comments:

Distributorcap said...

you an 50,000,000 people
sometimes at work i play when i need a break away from the usual crap

i never win but it beats the routine

Matthew Hubbard said...

Switch to Free Cell. Much better chances of winning.

Mary Ellen said...

I have no idea what Spider Solitaire is. I'll have to check it out to see if it's different than the solitaire I've played in the past.

Now...if I get hooked, I'll tell my husband it's your fault. :-D

Fran said...

Spider solitaire - she's a cruel mistress!

Words that shall live on in infamy!

dguzman said...

Dcap--I win just enough to keep playing.

Matty Boy--that's what The Kat told me, but I've never tried it. Perhaps I should!

ME--it's in the games package on every PC with Windows; give it a whirl! And you have three difficulty levels, so you can learn more easily. And if you get hooked, we'll just go to rehab together.

Fran--too true!

Randal Graves said...

I prefer the minesweeper, as it lets me pretend that it's a neocon cruise ship blowing up instead of me, thus I'm doing my duty for posterity.

Jess Wundrun said...

A few weeks ago I had to be torn away from the kids "Sponge Bob Diner Dash".

Go for the New Deal. It worked great for FDR.

Dr. Zaius said...

I don't get it - Where are the spiders?

dguzman said...

Randal--I tend to play that game in about two seconds, clicking as fast as possible and trying to just blow it up for fun. Is that bad?

Jess--We have a similar Sponge Bob game called Krabby Patty's Underpants or something like that; The Kid loves it. NEW DEAL!

Dr. Z--I love you.

S.M. Elliott said...

A cruel mistress indeed...and as with a cruel mistress, we keep going back for more...

At day's end I like to listen to incredibly bad pop music, drink some herbal tea, and lose at Spider Solitaire again and again. It may sound like some kind of new "coercive interrogation" technique, but it actually relaxes me. The inane music and the monotony of failure lull me right to sleep.