Thursday, October 23, 2008

Keating to McGeezer: you're still the one!

that's Keating hoisting a big bottle at one of McCain's (the goof with the hat)
million or so b-day parties--photo found at Emptywheel via a googly search

Remember that old Orleans song from the '70s, "Still the One" about a longterm happy couple?

We've been together since way back when
Sometimes I never want to see you again
But I want you to know, after all these years
You're still the one I want whisperin' in my ear...

You're still the one that makes me strong
Still the one I want to take along
We're still having fun, and you're still the one...

You're still the one who can scratch my itch
Still the one and I wouldn't switch
We're still having fun, and you're still the one
I just found out that the law firm to which Charles Keating belonged -- before he went to jail for fraud and other hijinks with Lincoln Savings and Loan, that is -- has donated over $50,000 to the campaign of one John Sidney McCain. In the words of the Church Lady, "well now isn't that special!" "Scratch my itch" indeed.

According to CLG,
The Center for Responsive Politics has done the math, and says: "In amounts ranging from $200 to $2,300, about 30 partners and employees of the legal firm Keating, Muething and Klekamp, as well as their family members, have contributed $50,200 to McCain's 2008 campaign."
The CLG piece links to a piece in the TimesUK. I wonder how much play this story will get on this side of the Atlantic, where McCain't is still trying to work that tired-ass "country first" straight-talk bullshit, and where not enough has been made of the Keating 5 connection by anyone except us damned liberals.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! Keating still has a license to practice law after the shit he pulled? I thought you get stripped of it, if you do jail time? I guess I'm wrong.

dguzman said...

Fran--oh gahd, yer soh ri-eet!

Spartacus--No, I think he was there before the shitstorm, and he was automatically disbarred. But his stupid ex-firm is STILL paying McFossil.

Randal Graves said...

I love John Keating! The Fall of McFossil is one of my favorites!

libhom said...

"Keating Five" McCain really makes me sick.