Wednesday, September 24, 2008

More lovely photo bias! with split-second update!

Some of my favorite things to find on the interwebs are examples of "photo bias," a concept I learned about waaaay back in my college journalism courses. Here's a beautiful example I spotted on the WaPost's Web page a while back, where a news organization paired a story with a hilariously inappropriate photo.

There are less sophistocated forms too, like printing a photo that depicts, for instance, a politician in a less-than-appropriate-looking snapshot. We're all familiar with this one, for instance:
and we've used it to high-larity many times. God only knows where the original came from (if you know, please tell me!), but whoever did it first was pure. stinkin'. genius.

But when you can put the great headline with the great (aka funny) photo, you can make photo-bias magic. Talking Points Memo's people effing HAVE THIS SHIT DOWN:
"zzzzzz... Oh, yeah--it's grave. It's a grave threat. Yeah, be afraid. Give us money. I'm seriouszzzzzzzz...."


Pure.
Stinkin'.
Genius.

UPDATE! And as if to give us a curtain call, TPM hits another one out of the park by posting this one only seconds later:

HA! Man, does she look pissed or what! Contest in the comments for funniest quote line under this one! My attempt: "Didn't I tell you that if you kept whining, I was gonna make you go sit in the car? What did I tell you? WHAT DID I TELL YOU?"

7 comments:

Randal Graves said...

Typical lefty internets rags, using one of the few things the rubes understand, purty pictures, to undermine Murkan society by avoiding speaking about the Grave Threats® of the day.

Condescending elitists.

Fran said...

Hahahahahaha- that is so great.

dguzman said...

Randal--good one. But I don't know that she knows that many big words.

Fran--hee hee hee

Claire said...

That's the actual photo of Palin "telling the Congress 'thanks, but no thanks' on that Bridge to Nowhere". See, she did it with kind of a Rebel without a Cause sneer, all maverick-y and whatnot. (God, I CRACK MYSELF UP).

Claire said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claire said...

I posted that one twice for some reason. I hate when I do that.

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like a good picture to illustrate the heart of the subject.