Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Quick hits

1. All hispanics are thrilled that Sonia Sotomayor, a self-titled "New Yorican," has been nominated to the Supreme Court. Every single one of us has been dreaming of this day since birth. Really. And it's not because she's brilliant or qualified or experienced. We're thrilled because she's hispanic.

2. The funniest part of the Sotomayor nomination is watching Faux Nooz struggling to come up with other news to distract from the fact that they can find NOTHING WRONG with this crazy uppity Mexican lady who thinks she can be on the Supreme Court. They'll gloss over someone of import saying yet again that Sotomayor is a quality person and an excellent choice, and then do yet another live broadcast from some "giant futuristic greenhouse" in California -- because THAT is breaking news, folks.

3. Conservative right-wingers are fucking insane idiots. Seems self-evident to me, but bloggy hero Vikkitikkitavi fuckin' CLOCKS a particular right-winger who claims she used to be a left-winger (but was, in actuality, still a fucking moron, as far as I can tell). BTW, if you're not reading Bells On, you're missing out on some of the best political and social commentary around, bar none.

4. Those spam emails and faxes we all get, supposedly from someone in Nigeria who wants to give us $875,000 if we'll only give him some money up front to get his money out of Nigeria -- these emails and faxes MUST work, because even after all these years, they are STILL being sent around. Someone somewhere must be falling for it.

9 comments:

Claire said...

Right, and isn't the whole Hispanic thing the reason why Alberto Gonzalez is your personal hero?

Bah ha ha ha ha! Sorry, Ms. Guzman, I couldn't resist that.

Randal Graves said...

I hope you're happy and that you are very successful with your Aztlan takeover of Cracker America®. I love tacos, La Bamba and George Lopez! Down with Whitey!

As for Nigeria, the new thing I've been getting is this "web redesign, why haven't you responded?"

At least they're courteous enough to want to find out.

Fran said...

Alberto Gonzalez - your hero. That made me laugh so hard I forgot what I was going to say!!

GETkristiLOVE said...

What kind of name is VikkiTikkiTavi?! And you're pretty politically funny yourself.

Matthew Hubbard said...

Hey, Sonia Sotomayor is the new Rosario Dawson!

Or maybe not. I still have too many daydreams about the original Rosario Dawson to give her up just yet.

Sonia Sotomayor is the new Rosie Perez!

vikkitikkitavi said...

Hey, thanks for the extra super-duper shout!

dguzman said...

CDP-holy shit, you just made me swallow the yogurt spoon I had in my mouth. Gah!--gah!

Randal--Glad you're behind us, amigo!

Fran--I almost choked to death!

GKL--I know--crazy. Thanks!

Matty Boy--you're obsessed with Rosario lately, aren't you!? I've seen you slip her name in on several blogs this morning! You're such a sucker for us darkies.

Vik--you're welcome!

Matthew Hubbard said...

dguz, you know that I am obsessed with Indira Varma! Rosario Dawson is just a passing fancy.

But seriously, have you ever seen this girl flirt on a talk show? She is to flirting what Babe Ruth was to hitting home runs. Phenomenal!

dguzman said...

Wow, I've never seen someone praised so highly for an ability to flirt. Perhaps I should add such a skill to my "list."

And of course I never meant to imply that Indira was not Number 1 in your heart.