Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Oh my sweet clean lord, it's Scully!


Unbeknownst to me (as I have no TV and thus know nothing about what's going on out there in Entertainmentland), Chris Carter is making a new X-Files movie, starring my erstwhile wife and love Gillian Anderson, the "Dana Scully" half of the Mulder and Scully team of the series.

This is all pretty impressive when you figure that the series had its heydays during Bill Clinton's presidency, and the first movie Fight the Future came out ten freakin' years ago. Still, I guess Chris Carter knew that my passion and fervor for Scully would not be diminished by time, and thus we have a new movie: The X-Files: I Want to Believe.


Geeks like me were always in love with the coolness of Scully: her skepticism, her knowledge of medicine, and her scathing and hilarious disbelieving looks whenever Mulder would go off on one of his crazy theories. Beneath the cool exterior, however, one could detect a warmth and a fierceness of purpose that made her the smoldering center of the show.

One of my favorite Scully moments occurred in the since-banned episode "Home," where she attempts to move a sheep out of her way and finally resorts to saying, "Baa ram ewe..."--a reference to the secret code that Babe the Pig learns in order to make the sheep obey him. Obviously, Scully knew how much I loved Babe! (but not Babe: Pig in the City--that movie kinda sucked) She made The X-Files one of my all-time favorite TV shows. Well, that and Scully's smokin' hawt™ self, of course.

I've seen Gillian Anderson playing various roles in other movies, but she never looked quite as good inhabiting other characters as when she was Scully. The movie premiers Friday, so you can bet your sweet bippy (or your sour one if you want) that I'll be checking out my woman this weekend.

In the meantime, we could always satisfy our Scully craving by looking at her bizarro-stupid-world doppelganger, Dana Perino--courtesy of 'Splainer MattyBoy:
But that would just make me want to throw up (again) thinking about Chimpy. So let's cleanse ourselves and go back to my woman:
Holy hand grenade, she's dreamy.

18 comments:

Randal Graves said...

starring my erstwhile wife and love Gillian Anderson

Them's fightin' words, pal.

Dean Wormer said...

You have very good taste in television. My favorite X-Files episodes were the ones that had absolutely nothing to do with aliens but instead featured a monster of the week.

Oh- Babe is a great movie.

dguzman said...

Randal--I'm meaner than you are; back down or die!

Dean--I liked those stand-alone episodes as well, but the "mythology" of the show was also appealing to me. However, once Duchovny tired of doing the show and was "kidnapped" by aliens, the whole thing quickly degenerated. I liked the agents played by Anabeth Gish (one of my favorite actresses) and that other guy that played the Terminator in T-2 (can't think of his name right now), but the plotlines were lame and the Scully-Mulder magic just wasn't there. Still--it was a great show, creative in the way that Buffy the Vampire Slayer was, doing things that no other show was doing.

Whiskeymarie said...

I saw Gillian Anderson on a talk show last night. Me-ow. Even preggers she looks amazing.

I was obsessed with the X-files- I probably won't be RUNNING to see this, but I'll try to catch it before dvd.

Anonymous said...

You know, Gillian was doing introductions for PBS Masterpiece Theater a couple of months ago......not that I noticed or anything.

Life As I Know It Now said...

heck I didn't know anything about this either. that is one show I will probably be dragged to go see in theater.

Elizabeth said...

I always admired Scully. I loved X-Files, too. I can't wait for this!

Matthew Hubbard said...

I paired Ms. Anderson and Ms. Perino together in a post months ago and I regret it. They kind of look alike because they both have short hair and are pretty and might have similar voices, but like you and Randal, Gillian gives me funny feelings down there. With Dana, as pretty as she is, ain't nothing funny goin' on.

No place.

Fran said...

I loved the X-Files and even though it will likely suck, I want to see the movie.

What is up... now-banned episode? I remember that one quite well. Please 'splain like the FOM (friend o' matty) that you are.

Also come over and check out your lovely visage on me ol' bloggy.

dguzman said...

WhiskeyMarie--cool. Kinda wish I had TV so I could enjoy such pleasures!

DCup--of course you didn't notice. Neither did I. Right?

Liberality--"dragged"??? Not a fan?

Enc--I love her scientific mind and warm heart! Can't wait to see the movie!

MattyBoy--I remember it well and meant to link to your post to give you the h/t and linky love--then I forgot! I will correct this heinous oversight! And no, Perino doesn't give me any funny feelings down there either--she's too stupid!

Fran--yes, Home was only shown on TV once, then it was banned because it was all about an inbreeding family. Too much for TV back then, I guess!

Claire said...

Oh, you're so right, you just KNOW that Perino secretly thinks of herself as a modern-day Scully. She wishes. Have fun at the movie!

Randal Graves said...

Meaner? I doubt that. Although you probably do have an unholy flock of avians at your diabolical command. I shall return with something to counteract them! Or maybe I'l ;-)

Ugh, Home was indeed extra creepy.

Dean Wormer said...

Bruce Campbell almost had the role that the Terminator guy took. THAT would've been cool.

BTW- that inbreeding episode is awesome and terrifying.

At the time it was absolutely jaw-dropping.

Karen Zipdrive said...

Never watched The X Files, but please never, ever compare Gillian Anderson to Dana Perino again.

Enough said.

Earl Cootie said...

...her skepticism, her knowledge of medicine, and her scathing and hilarious disbelieving looks whenever Mulder would go off on one of his crazy theories.

Not to mention those lips. Ohmygod, I would so make out with her.

DivaJood said...

Scully is cool. I think, if you relinquish Alan Rickman to me, I might be able to persuade Randal to give up on Scully/Gillian Anderson. But I do require complete and sole usage of Alan Rickman.

GETkristiLOVE said...

Did you see it? Was it good?

I think my love for Fox Mulder tops your love for Scully. I just watched him in the Shotime Series Californication, and man they ain't kidding - there's a whole lotta screwing in that series and Duchovney's bare butt makes frequent appearances.

Freida Bee said...

Scully and Mulder confuse me. I can't decide which one to drool over more. I think the years have just made the both of them hotter, too.

Oh, and I loves me some X-Files.